What is Fat and Why is Some of it Good?
Why Do Some People Lose Weight Faster Than Others?
There’s No One-Size Fits All Diet
Sylvia Tara Notable Quotes
“Don’t diet like it’s temporary. Find a diet that really works for you, that you can stay on for many years.”
– Dr. Sylvia Tara
“Willpower is really like a muscle. The more you do it, the stronger it gets.”
– Dr. Sylvia Tara
If you’re a long-time listener of the show, you would know that we talk a lot about how we can lose fat effectively and how we can keep it off forever. But what is fat, exactly? What does it do, and are all kinds of fat really that bad for us?
In this episode of This Podcast Burns Fat, we’re talking to author and biochemist, Sylvia Tara, Ph.D., to shed some light about the truth around fat—what it is, what kinds there are, and why we actually want some of it in us.
In this Episode of This Podcast Burns Fat!
- Omar and Lori introduce the episode’s guest, Dr. Sylvia Tara (01:13)
- Sylvia Tara and her book, The Secret Life of Fat (03:23)
- New discoveries about fat in the last two years (05:17)
- What is fat and what does it do? (07:55)
- Fat is actually an endocrine organ (08:25)
- How can we regulate weight loss? (11:25)
- Find a sustainable diet (13:11)
- “It’s just tenacity.” (13:59)
- The different types of fat (15:58)
- White fat or subcutaneous fat (16:03)
- Visceral fat (16:26)
- Brown fat (17:16)
- Beige fat (17:38)
- Does the subcutaneous fat promote inflammation? (20:08)
- Can you spot reduce fat? (21:02)
- Dichotomous thinking in fat loss (23:42)
- Willpower is like a muscle (26:06)
- Temptation bundling (26:55)
- Giving your willpower muscle a break (27:09)
- What about food rewards? (28:16)
- Lori Shemek’s 3-Bite Rule (29:28)
- Foods and substances that fuel fat gain (30:24)
- Fat loss is very individual, not every diet is going to work for everyone (32:50)
- Keep a tight food log (35:03)
- Getting health coaching is an investment (36:21)
- The biggest lies in the weight industry (38:03)
- Some weight loss tips that work across all body types (41:02)
- Where and how to find Dr. Sylvia Tara (45:22)
Don’t forget to check out!
The Art of Sugar-free Cooking: Recipes for Healthy Living by Omar Cumberbatch
Enjoyed this podcast? Picked up a lot of helpful tips and tricks to make your weight loss journey more fun and enjoyable? Hop on to Libsyn for more episodes!