Maintain Joint and Muscle Health with Stretching
Myths vs. Facts: Weightlifting and Flexibility
Prevent Replacement Surgeries with Stretching
Dr. Grayson Wickham Notable Quotes
“I do see a lot of people that unfortunately don’t stretch for various reasons. Maybe they don’t understand the importance of it. Or maybe they feel like they don’t have the time to do it…the analogy that I like to make is, an effective stretching routine is essentially joint maintenance, just like brushing our teeth is teeth maintenance.”
– Dr. Grayson Wickham
“If you’re performing the full range of motion exercise…you’re much more liable to maintain and sometimes even improve your mobility and your flexibility and your joint stability to a certain extent versus if you were just do partial range of motion…I always recommend people try to use their full available range of motion with every exercise, every rep, and that’s going to really maintain your active joint mobility.”
– Dr. Grayson Wickham
We’re taught that before we start our exercise routines, we need to stretch our muscles to warm them up and prepare them for the work out. Unbeknownst to us, doing stretches—especially static stretches—pre-work out can actually do us more harm than good, which can even lead to joint and muscle injury.
In this episode of This Podcast Burns Fat, we’re talking to Dr. Grayson Wickham, a Doctor of Physical Therapy, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and founder of the Movement Vault stretching app, to walk us through how stretching can prevent and potentially reverse chronic joint and muscle pain, while also maintaining joint health and improving our performance.
In this Episode of This Podcast Burns Fat!
- Omar and Lori introduce the episode’s guest, Dr. Grayson Wickham (00:34)
- Grayson Wickham, his background, and his message for people (01:56)
- The prevalence of people not stretching at all (04:36)
- Stretching is basically joint maintenance (05:15)
- Static stretching and why it’s bad for our muscles and joints (06:29)
- False: you should stretch before exercising or working out (08:49)
- The difference between static stretching and active stretching (09:27)
- What is ballistic stretching and is it good for you? (10:34)
- Dynamic stretching is better (11:51)
- Does weightlifting decrease our flexibility? (12:40)
- Joint surgery is 98% preventable (16:18)
- Preventing the need for joint replacement surgery (20:35)
- Why physical therapy doesn’t work sometimes (22:55)
- Assessing joint and mobility insufficiencies and addressing them early (26:34)
- Grayson Wickham’s top five active stretches that we should all be doing (29:41)
- Check out Movement Vault App (31:12)
- Hamstring stretch (32:09)
- Hip flexors stretch (33:01)
- Stretching the spine and core (33:44)
- Shoulder stretch (34:56)
- Ankle stretch (35:30)
- Just how far do we need to stretch to benefit the most? (37:02)
- Cramps during stretches are normal (37:57)
- Add stretches to your active routine to maintain joint health (40:55)
- Where to find and keep up with Dr. Grayson Wickham’s work (42:32)
Don’t forget to check out!
The Art of Sugar-free Cooking: Recipes for Healthy Living by Omar Cumberbatch
Enjoyed this podcast? Picked up a lot of helpful tips and tricks to make your weight loss journey more fun and enjoyable? Hop on to Libsyn for more episodes!