Intermittent Fasting: What is it & Why Does it Work?
How are Seed Oils Ruining Our Fasting?
What Can and Can’t We Have During a Fast?
Cynthia Thurlow Notable Quotes
“The choices that we make yesterday have a long-term impact on the health of our cellular membranes.”
– Cynthia Thurlow
“Cortisol can impact weight loss resistance or weight loss…and to really think of intermittent fasting as type of stress of the body, understanding that hormesis or hormetic stressors are designed to make us stronger or more resilient, but if, as an example, you are going through a divorce, you lost your job, you’re not sleeping, you just have a lot of stress, adding intermittent fasting is like adding gasoline to a fire.”
– Cynthia Thurlow
“Not only do seed oils destroy things at a cellular level, you know, they’re disrupting that phospholipid bilayer at the cellular level, they’re driving oxidative stress, they’re damaging our mitochondria, they’re driving inflammation, they’re impacting our food choices…if we can start connecting the dots between having these highly inflammatory seed oils and then dietary decisions that we’re making…just understanding that all of these things lead to metabolic disease, they lead to over intake of carbohydrates, they lead to insulin resistance.”
– Cynthia Thurlow
After enjoying ourselves during the holidays (as we should!), the new year rolls in, and it’s about time we get back to our healthy habits. And what better way to kick off the year than with intermittent fasting?
In this episode of This Podcast Burns Fat, we’re talking to nurse practitioner, intermittent fasting and nutrition expert, and a two-time TEDx speaker Cynthis Thurlow to enlighten us on intermittent fasting, how to do it, how it works, and its multitude of benefits.
And if starting to live a little healthier this 2023 is on your New Year’s Resolution, this episode is perfect for you!
The Intermittent Fasting Transformation by Cynthia Thurlow
Everyday Wellness Podcast by Cynthia Thurlow
The Intermittent Fasting Podcast by Melanie Avalon & Cynthia Thurlow
In this Episode of This Podcast Burns Fat!
- Omar and Lori introduce the episode’s guest, Cynthia Thurlow (01:06)
- Cynthia Thurlow, her background, and her health journey (03:50)
- Stumbling upon intermittent fasting and implementing it (10:17)
- What is intermittent fasting and how do you do it? (14:42)
- Intermittent fasting is designed to be flexible (15:55)
- Why does intermittent fasting work? (16:42)
- Intermittent fasting lowers insulin levels (16:52)
- It reduces inflammation in the body (18:08)
- It optimizes cortisol (20:01)
- A common mistake people make when it comes to intermittent fasting (21:35)
- The problem with industrial seed oils (22:32)
- The “research” says seed oils are “fine” (26:08)
- What seed oils do to our bodies (27:36)
- How intermittent fasting helps maintain our gut health (31:23)
- The issue with being able to eat a proper amount of protein when doing intermittent fasting (34:31)
- The question of when sarcopenia will begin (35:45)
- Bone-building and bone-breaking (37:28)
- What exactly breaks a fast? (40:36)
- The processed food industry is convincing people to eat during a fast (43:44)
- Addressing the sugar addiction (44:44)
- There’s so much “keto, low-carb, and paleo” junk (46:06)
- Who has an easier time doing intermittent fasting? (47:37)
- How can we mentally prepare to start intermittent fasting? (50:03)
- Where to find and keep up with what Cynthia Thurlow is doing (54:18)
Don’t forget to check out!
The Art of Sugar-free Cooking: Recipes for Healthy Living by Omar Cumberbatch
Enjoyed this podcast? Picked up a lot of helpful tips and tricks to make your weight loss journey more fun and enjoyable? Hop on to Libsyn for more episodes!