What Probiotics Do For Us and Our Gut
How to Feed the Right Kind of Gut Bacteria
What Should We Look for in a Probiotic?
Dr. Michael Smith Notable Quotes
“At the end of the day, you’re only as healthy as your gut.”
– Dr. Michael Smith
“When you’re eating the gunkier food or a gunkier diet, you’re giving an advantage to the more harmful bacteria versus the beneficial bacteria.”
– Dr. Michael Smith
With the advancement of science and the horizons we reached with research, a lot of supplements have emerged, claiming to do one thing or other for our health. That said, one of the well-studied and proven supplements are probiotics. But the market is brimming with all kinds of probiotics, how do we know which one we should take?
In this episode of This Podcast Burns Fat, we’re talking to physician, author, and Director of Education over at Life Extension, Dr. Michael Smith to shed some light on what probiotics actually do for us and what we should look for in a probiotic when we’re looking to take the supplement for ourselves.
In this Episode of This Podcast Burns Fat!
- Omar and Lori introduce the episode’s guest, Dr. Michael Smith (00:49)
- The growing supplement industry (04:48)
- Key supplements we should be taking (07:05)
- Solid companies that manufacture foundational supplements (10:46)
- Threats to our gut health (11:20)
- Key things to do to keep our guts healthy (13:52)
- Being conscious of what’s in your food (15:00)
- The connection of the gut microbiome and the food we eat (16:12)
- Are diets high in animal protein worse than plant-based? (18:48)
- Health and pre-biotic plant fibers (23:01)
- Stress and its connection to gut microbiome diversity (25:22)
- Eating the rainbow (26:15)
- Trivia: naturally occurring blue food? (27:09)
- Telltale signs of an unhealthy gut (28:34)
- The first thing is to correct the gut (30:36)
- What should we look for when choosing our probiotics? (31:35)
- Number of strains vs. number of colony-forming units (32:35)
- Temperature-stable probiotics (34:30)
- Acidophilus and Lactobacillus(36:02)
- The benefits of fermented foods (36:46)
- The myths of yogurt (38:41)
- How gut health impacts our immune health (41:05)
- Michael and Dr. Lori’s Life Extension Course on Gut Health (44:10)
- Where to find Dr. Michael Smith and his work (46:28)
Don’t forget to check out!
The Art of Sugar-free Cooking: Recipes for Healthy Living by Omar Cumberbatch
Enjoyed this podcast? Picked up a lot of helpful tips and tricks to make your weight loss journey more fun and enjoyable? Hop on to Libsyn for more episodes!