Achieving Homeostasis with Chinese Medicine and Western Fitness
Consider Everything and Approach Health Holistically
A Bigger Food Variety is A Step Closer to Health and Wellness
Andy Chan Notable Quotes
“At its base, Chinese medicine is an ancient system that focuses on ways to achieve good health…In Chinese medicine, back then, they didn’t have all those fancy lab equipment to look at different molecules, they didn’t have the terminologies such as ATP, blood sugar levels, temperature, all that. As a result, they had to come up with a different set of languages to explain how the body can self-regulate, and that’s how the terms came about, you’ve got chi, you’ve got yin-yang, you’ve got the elements. And all these terms are just languages that can help us achieve homeostasis, or in Chinese, the balanced state. It’s believed that the more balanced we are, the more we can have a healthy life and thrive despite all the challenges that we go through.”
– Andy Chan
Let’s admit it: the standard American diet is one of the reasons why there’s an obesity pandemic taking the country by storm. Sadly, because of our food culture, it’s also starting to spread to other corners of the world. But way before globalization happened, many groups of people were doing everything right when it came to food and health—and one of those groups of people are the Chinese.
In this episode of This Podcast Burns Fat, we’re talking to educator, master trainer, and author Andy Chan to walk us through how he keeps his clients and himself healthy and in balance through merging Chinese medicine and modern Western fitness.
In this Episode of This Podcast Burns Fat!
- Omar and Lori introduce the episode’s guest, Andy Chan (01:33)
- The difference in food and health culture in America and China (04:19)
- Starting to question what we were initially taught (06:40)
- Acclimating to the American diet from an Asian perspective (08:20)
- Becoming more aware of health and lack of food variety (09:38)
- A quick overview of Chinese medicine (11:38)
- When homeostasis is challenged internally and externally (13:30)
- Has our health taken a toll because of the lack of food variety? (14:25)
- How the obesity epidemic is catching on everywhere in the world (15:58)
- The first thing Andy does with a client who wants to lose weight (17:55)
- Andy Chan’s opinion on dimsum (21:08)
- What food cultures the Chinese have that Americans don’t (24:20)
- Are harmony and balance the same? (26:00)
- Is there a place for sugar in Chinese medicine? (27:39)
- The link between emotion, diet, and fascia (29:09)
- Holistic approach of Chinese medicine (33:45)
- Where to find and keep in touch with Andy Chan (36:42)
Don’t forget to check out!
The Art of Sugar-free Cooking: Recipes for Healthy Living by Omar Cumberbatch
Enjoyed this podcast? Picked up a lot of helpful tips and tricks to make your weight loss journey more fun and enjoyable? Hop on to Libsyn for more episodes!