Your Mind and Body on Keto with Dr. Christopher Palmer!
How Can a Keto Diet Help with Mental Health?
It’s Not Genetics, It’s Actually Epigenetics
Dr. Christopher Palmer Notable Quotes
“One of the reasons why I’m choosing [schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder] is because in some ways, in psychiatry, those are the most hopeless diagnoses. Those are the diagnoses where everybody says there’s nothing we can do, you’re going to be disabled for the rest of your life…I feel very drawn to try to help that population first, and I honestly feel like anybody who’s gotten those conditions deserves a trial.”
– Dr. Christopher Palmer
In this day and age, mental illnesses and mental disorders are still enshrouded with mystery—from how they came to be to how to effectively manage them because so far, there’s no one-size-fits-all kind of treatment for everyone.
This is where Dr. Christopher Palmer comes in—he’s a psychiatrist who has added ketogenic diets as treatment to his patients and has since seen varied but remarkable improvements in practice. In this episode of This Podcast Burns Fat, he’ll walk us through a bit of the science behind mental illnesses, epigenetics, and how a ketogenic diet can help.
In this Episode of This Podcast Burns Fat!
- Omar and Lori introduce the episode’s guest, Dr. Christopher Palmer (00:58)
- Christopher Palmer, his journey, and what he does today (04:08)
- The ketogenic diet and the mechanisms behind promoting better mental wellbeing (08:53)
- The schizoaffective patient (11:17)
- The mechanism behind the improved mental health (17:16)
- Inflammation and depression are very connected (19:50)
- The role of sugar in overall mental health (20:40)
- The Whitehall Study and depression (21:15)
- Schizophrenia, glucose, and diabetes (25:03)
- Genetics, epigenetics, and hope behind diseases (27:08)
- It’s not genetic, it’s epigenetic (29:50)
- A cohort study of holocaust survivors (33:40)
- The epigenetic mouse study (35:05)
- Tests to gauge inflammation in the body and what to do if they’re not optimal (37:27)
- The first randomized control trial using the ketogenic diet for mental illness (39:48)
- Focus on schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder (40:30)
- Where to find Dr. Christopher Palmer and keep up with what he’s doing (48:35)
Don’t forget to check out!
The Art of Sugar-free Cooking: Recipes for Healthy Living by Omar Cumberbatch
Enjoyed this podcast? Picked up a lot of helpful tips and tricks to make your weight loss journey more fun and enjoyable? Hop on to Libsyn for more episodes!